The Dodgers had a 2-1 lead on the Padres in the bottom of the 6th inning when Quentin led off the inning by running the count to 3-2. The next pitch hit Quentin in the left forearm/shoulder area and he took a step toward the mound, glaring at Greinke. Greinke appeared to say something to Quentin and the brawl was on. Greinke lowered his left shoulder to meet the charge of Quentin and after that it was a typical baseball brawl pileup.
The Dodgers were very angry to see their co-ace pitcher with a fresh 6yr/$147M deal injured in such unnecessary fashion and their tempers won’t cool down for some time. Most notably, Matt Kemp was ejected for basically not calming down in the aftermath of the brawl and then the star OF confronted Quentin after the game behind the scenes at Petco Park.
All we know at this point:
- Greinke’s going to miss time, probably 4-6 weeks
- Greinke didn’t hit Quentin intentionally
- Quentin made no attempt whatsoever to move away from the pitch
- Quentin never makes any move whatsoever to move away from pitches as he routinely leads the league in getting hit by pitches
- These two teams start another series on Monday in Los Angeles and have 14 more head-to-head matchups after that.
- Baseball brawls are always bad, nothing good ever comes out of them, but they’ll always be part of the game.