Here’s another look at Friday-night college baseball action across the county. Friday-night series openers feature the various schools’ aces taking the mound and at this point the teams are working deeper into their conference seasons. The action is getting hotter each week as the schools position themselves for the NCAA post-season.
This week, Florida State is looking to defend it’s #1 position in Baseball America’s latest rankings. Here are BA’s top 5 ranked schools going into the weekend:
- Florida State (27-5)
- Texas A & M (26-6)
- Kentucky (30-3)
- Arizona (23-9)
- LSU (25-7)
- Top-ranked Florida State needed a two-run rally in the bottom of the ninth to overcome fellow ACC club Boston College 6-5. Jose Brizuela knocked in the winning run with a ground ball as Robert Benincasa picked up the win with 1 2/3 innings of scoreless relief.
- Junior RHP Michael Wacha tossed a CG shutout for #2 Texas A&M as the Aggies beat Kansas by a score of 8-0. Wacha allowed four hits and no walks while striking out six.
- #3 Kentucky fell victim to a bases-clearing triple by #9 Arkansas’ Derick Bleeker in the bottom of the 7th and lost by a score of 8-7. Junior LHP Taylor Rogers was roughed up for 5 ER over 4 IP and allowed 7 hits and 3 BB’s for the Wildcats.
- #4 Arizona got a complete game from junior RHP Kurt Heyer in a 4-3 win over #17 UCLA. Heyer scattered 8 hits and a BB while allowing 2 ER.
- #5 LSU rode a 6-run fourth inning to a 10-2 home win over Alabama. Sophomore RHP Kevin Gausman pitched eight innings, allowing 2 ER, 6 H, 2 BB and 7 K’s.